Monday, August 9, 2010

Be the change

You wish to see in the world...

My work currently has a task to determine the needs for breastfeeding support in the workplace. Penn State's Commission for Women had a recent study on Work-Family Balance (pdf) that basically found that breastfeeding is difficult while working due to lack of pumping facilities. So, to honor the provisions outlined in the new Health Care Reform Bill, Penn State is working on some guidelines to help breastfeeding working moms. It has become clear, however, that despite the law overseeing the breastfeeding support given by my parent university, that my office needs its own breastfeeding support program and guidelines. The diversity committee in my office has recently done its own survey about the needs for a program and my boss has asked me to be help him review the breastfeeding support program guidelines outlined as a result of this survey. He asked me if I would help him identify possible lactation locations in our building and is looking to me for general information on this topic since not only am I passionate about breastfeeding I am now the only woman in the building who has an immediate need for a suitable location.

I can not tell you how amazingly happy I am to be a part of this process and look forward to not only helping my office change the breastfeeding/pumping culture but despite the small numbers, to support the women in my office (there are bound to more to come!!).

1 comment:

Sadie said...

what a fabulous opportunity! I am so glad they are being so proactive in such an initiative! rock on!